Support Saving Our Sisters – Donations are Tax Deductible
If you wish to have a receipt for your tax deductible donation, please let us know during the payment process by providing your email address in the box marked
“Add special instructions to recipient”. You will also be provided with follow up contact information at the end of the transaction.
Golf Tournament Fundraiser – April 28, 2016 in beautiful Palm Harbor’s Lansbrook Golf Club.
Studies show that Eastern European and Asian women who have moved to the United States to marry American men are eight times more likely to fall victim to domestic violence and abuse than women born here. Children accompanying these brides to the US are exposed to the same danger.
The problem is particularly acute in the Tampa Bay region as many Eastern Europeans are migrating to our state in search of a better life and happiness. Currently, there are about 12,000 Eastern European people living in the Tampa Bay area. About 9,000 are women who met local men through internet dating services and came here to marry them. Eight out of ten of these women become victims of spousal abuse. Hundreds of such women and their children in the Tampa Bay area still live with an abusive partner.
These women are culturally uprooted and socially isolated. They have limited language skills and no knowledge of their rights and of the variety of governmental and non-profit organizations available to assist them. Unable to protect themselves, they often remain silent and try to endure the accelerating spousal abuse, until they end up on the street or in the shelters for victims of domestic violence.
Their children often are taken away from them and placed in foster homes because by remaining in an abusive situation, their mothers” failed to protect” them. Most of the time these women just do not know what to do, were to go, and whom to ask for help. They also were told by their husbands that they will end up deported, or in t immigration prison, if they report the violence to the police or disobey.
SOS works to remedy this problem.
The goals of the project are:
- Collecting and distributing pertinent information and resources to domestic violence victims via websites, social networks, print media, radio, and other forms of publications in US and Eastern Europe.
- Conducting educational seminars and campaigns to bring about awareness of the problem of domestic violence to Russian-speaking communities.
- Providing victims of domestic violence with the help of attorneys, doctors, and mental health professionals who speak Eastern European languages.
- Providing translation and interpretation services to non-English speaking victims of domestic violence.
- Organizing fundraising events to benefit, collaborating with, and volunteering for established local organizations that help victims of domestic violence and their families.
Saving Our Sisters
A department of the Russian-American Community Center of Florida, Inc.
6800 Gulfport Blvd, Ste 201-232
South Pasadena, FL 33707
SOS Project manager – Evguenia Nichols- 813-419-8786
HIT and HELP fundraising golf tournament manager Ken Latham – 727 350 1800